19 Apr, 2021Closed.
Caribbean Export Development Agency notes that ‘Brand Caribbean’ has been growing in recent times, and with the onset of COVID-19 in 2020 and attendant governmental lockdowns, demand for Caribbean food is on the rise. According to Fast Moving Consumer Goods data insights, consumers in the UK and EU are spending less on eating out and spending more on at home dining. Reports indicate that the Caribbean food and soft drinks market in the UK is worth £100,000 with London and Central UK regions showing the highest demand for Afro-Caribbean foods (2019). With the protracted national lockdowns and stay at home orders due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, grocery sales saw an increase in 2020, with a related upward demand trajectory for sauces, condiments and pickles, a market that is worth £1 billion.
Consequently, recognizing that consumer insights demonstrate an upward trajectory of demand for Caribbean food and beverage products, a dedicated targeted market launch programme is being conceptualised to position CARIFORUM SMEs to increase their exports to the UK and EU markets. The programme will seek to address inter alia, issues related to market assessment and positioning, market compliance, regulations and labelling, as well as marketing and branding with the aim of increasing demand for CARIFORUM food products, in particular Caribbean sauces and condiments, across the various retail segments available in the UK and EU markets.
The overall objective of this project is to enhance the export competitiveness of CARIFORUM SMEs in the agro-processing sector to meet the increasing demand for their products in the UK and EU markets.
Specifically, this project seeks to retain the services of a market access expert(s) who will:
- Build the export capacity of CARIFORUM sauces and condiments exporters to meet UK and EU demand. The priority markets for the EU are Germany, the Netherlands, Spain, Italy, France and Belgium.
- Immerse a select group of CARIFORUM SMEs in the above-named product category in a targeted export-oriented programme to identify challenges and therefore increase opportunities to expand exports to the UK and EU markets.
- Increase the market access and availability of the named products across the various retail market segments in the UK and EU.
- Provide capacity building through coaching and local market technical expertise to CARIFORUM SMEs in the named product category to increase market access to the UK and EU markets.
- Equip CARIFORUM SMEs in the named product category with the tools and expertise to address market entry challenges including compliance, technical regulations and product labelling, marketing and branding as well as logistics and other operational and route to market challenges to create and promote sustainable and scalable businesses;
- Develop a template or blueprint for a ‘Go-To-Market’ launch strategy for firms in the same or similar product category;
- Prepare firms to engage with potential buyers via business-to-business meetings in the UK and Europe at upcoming international trade shows and trade missions.
Submission Deadline and Budget
A technical and financial proposal for services, including understanding of the project, available experts and qualifications, project schedule and budget including cost/fee per company should be sent by email to Mrs. Natasha Edwin-Walcott at [email protected] , copied to Dr. Damie Sinanan at [email protected] no later than 4:00 pm AST 3 May 2021.