The CARICOM/Dominican Republic Business Forumwas proposed by the Head of the Santo Domingo Chamber of Commerce on behalf of the Dominican Republic and CARICOM private sectors. The Agreement establishing the business forum was signed on June 9, 2006, in Barbados on the initiative of the Caribbean Business Council (CBC), the Caribbean Association of Industry and Commerce (CAIC), and the Chamber of Commerce of Santo Domingo.
CAIC and the Chamber of Commerce of Santo Domingo are the lead agencies in this process, and have been receiving support from the Caribbean Export Development Agency (Caribbean Export) and the Caribbean Regional Negotiating Machinery (CRNM) in promoting greater business dialogue towards facilitating more trade and Investment.
The primary objectives of the CARICOM/Dominican Republic Business Forumshall be to actively promotethe commercial interests of enterprises in countries which are Parties to the Free Trade Agreement between the Caribbean Community and the Dominican Republic, contribute tothe successful implementation of all aspects of the Agreement and be of service to the Joint Council. It shall also actively marketvarious aspects of the Agreement and generally seek to create greater awareness of the Agreement in the Dominican Republic and CARICOM Member States.
- Analyse trade and investment opportunities
- Exchange business information
- Organise business encounters
- Discussions and analyses on private sector proposals for the areas to be negotiated such as services, investment, government procurement, among others
- Promote a speedy decision making process
- Assist, wherever possible, in the solution of conflicting private sector groups
- Deal with any other relevant matters including those referred to it by the Joint Council
- Discussions on any other trade agreement including EPA
Forum meetings are scheduled on a biannual basis. To access the documents of the meetings click on the links below: