02 Sep, 2019AST 5:00 pm20 Sep, 2019
The Caribbean Export Development Agency (Caribbean Export) is seeking a consultant to carry out a survey on the uses and practices of the transborder trade being conducted in three (3) main markets at the Haiti-Dominican Republic border – namely Ouanaminthe/Dajabón, Malpasse/Jimaní and Belladère/Elías Piña – in order to update the information and statistical data on same and identify the needs and challenges of the actors engaging in this economic activity.
The consultant(s) will review existing, up-to-date surveys, studies and other secondary data on the uses and practices of transborder trade, collate the information and provide a detailed analysis on the transborder trade activity. Updated statistics on transborder trade practices must be highlighted. Customs procedures, tax collection processes, sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) inspections and other rules and regulations in force at the various posts on each side of the border must be identified and compared with those applied at other trading posts such as the ports in Port-au-Prince and Caucedo. Additionally, the availability of information on custom, trade, tax collection and rules, regulations and/or procedures to merchants and investors must also be assessed.
The consultant(s) is expected to deliver the following results:
1. Report 1: Inception meeting report – This report will capture agreed timelines, the methodology that will be used to undertake the study and any potential changes to project design that are discussed at the inception meeting;
2. Report 2: Intermediary Report – This report will cover the work completed to date and the outstanding work to be completed. It should include a briefing of the desk research and consultations conducted and a draft survey for validation by Caribbean Export; and
3. Report 3: Final Report – This final report will present the results, findings and analysis of the survey conducted.
All reports must be in French and Spanish.
Scope of Work
To achieve the expected results, the Consultant will, at a minimum, do the following:
1. Participate in an inception meeting with BONFED (Bureau de l’Ordonnateur National du Fonds Européen de Développement), Caribbean Export, Customs General Administration of Haiti, Customs General Directorate of the Dominican Republic, DIGECOOM (Dirección General de Cooperación Multilateral) and the European Union to define, clarify, and agree on project parameters and expectations, including timelines, reporting, etc.;
2. Conduct desk and other research and/or consultations based on the requirements in the TORs that are necessary to effectively complete the assignment;
3. Review existing, up-to-date surveys, studies and other secondary data on the uses and practices of transborder trade at the border markets (Ouanaminthe/Dajabón, Malpasse/Jimaní and Belladère/Elías Piña), collate the information and provide a detailed analysis on the transborder trade activity;
4. Analyze the movement of goods across the border markets;
5. Investigate the tax collection procedures at the border;
6. Analyze the way in which information on legal, customs and tax collection procedures are transmitted to local merchants in both countries; and
7. Identify sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) rules and other regulations in force at the border.
Submissions of Offers
Offers should be submitted by 17:00 hrs (Haiti local time) on Friday 20th September, 2019 to the following e-mail addresses [email protected] and [email protected] with the reference “Statistical Survey – Uses and Practices of HT-DR Transborder Trade”.