Notice for CARIFORUM Firms
INVITATION TO PARTICIPATE IN THE VIII AMERICAS COMPETITIVENESS FORUM (ACF)
OCTOBER 8-12, 2014
The VIII Americas Competitiveness Forum (ACF) and Annual Meeting of the Inter-American Competitiveness Network (RIAC) will be held in Trinidad and Tobago during the period October 8th – 10th, 2014, which is the first time the ACF is being held in an English speaking country.
The theme of this year’s ACF is “The Human Imagination at Work: Driving Competitiveness, Powering Innovation”
The ACF Forum and Annual Meeting will consist of Panel Discussions and Keynote Presentations on the following sub-themes
- Energy Competitiveness and Innovation
- Financing Business, Investment and Growth
- Creativity, Innovation, Research and Application
- Breakthrough Innovations and the New generation
- Services Industry as a Driver of Innovation
- Innovation in Education
ACF 2014 will also feature:
- Forum for Partnership in the Americas – Seeks to strengthen its engagement with the private sector through the introduction of private sector for a dedicated to creating networking opportunities, facilitating business to business meetings and providing participation with practical tools for private sector development.
- ConnectAmericas – Participants will have the opportunity to advance their business prospects and networks through first social network and businesses in the Americas. Participants will have the ability to initiate strategic business contacts that can result in access to international markets, new business partnerships, and increased financing options
- Innovation Village – An exhibition space that will feature and promote innovative products and services and processes from the Americas. The village will allow approximately 60 local, regional, and international exhibitors in the fields of Information and Communications Technology (ICT), Health and Safety, Environment and Defense a unique opportunity to interact with a diverse audience from across the Western Hemisphere.
Caribbean Export Development Agency (Caribbean Export) will be supporting the participation of CARIFORUM SMEs, entrepreneurs, and aspiring entrepreneurs with innovative products and/or services as exhibitors at the Innovation Village, where they will get an opportunity to showcase their respective products and/or services to a diverse audience consisting of potential customers, business partners, and investors.
Americas Competitiveness Forum (ACF) 2014
Interested parties must create a video pitch no longer than three (3) minutes explaining why they should be selected to be part of the contingent of firms to exhibit at the Innovation Village of the ACF 2014. Firms must answer the following questions in their video pitch:
- What is your name/company’s name? (5 to 7 seconds)
- What is your product/service and which industry does it fall under? (10 to 15 seconds)
- What is the value proposition of your product or service (what problem does it seek to solve)? (20 to 30 seconds)
- What makes your product/service innovative and differentiates it from its competitors? (15 to 20 seconds)
- Who are your primary and secondary target audiences and what’s your distribution strategy to reach them? (30 to 40 seconds)
- What are the ways you generate or are seeking to generate revenue (retail, wholesale, e-commerce, etc.)? (25 to 30 seconds)
- Are you seeking to export (if not already exporting) and if yes, which markets are you currently exporting to and other markets are you interested in? (20 to 30 seconds)
- What area(s) would you like the greatest support to continue the growth and development of your business model?
Please note that the times included above are merely to be used as a guide
In addition to the video pitch, firms must also submit:
1) The completed Expression of Interest Application Form by following the below link:
2) CVs of the Entrepreneur and/or CVs of the management team of the firm
These documents along with the three (3) minute video pitch should be submitted together no later than 4:30 pm EST on Thursday, July 31st, 2014.
Instructions for Video Pitch Submissions are as follows:
- Create a YouTube Account or Sign in to existing YouTube account;
- Create your 2-3 minute video clip using webcam, camera, phone camera, etc.;
YouTube supports the following file formats:
- WebM files – Vp8 video codec and Vorbis Audio codecs
- MPEG4, 3GPP and MOV files – Typically supporting h264, mpeg4 video codecs, and AAC audio codec
- AVI – Many cameras output this format – typically the video codec is MJPEG and audio is PCM
- MPEGPS – Typically supporting MPEG2 video codec and MP2 audio
- FLV – Adobe-FLV1 video codec, MP3 audio
- Click on “Upload” at the top right of YouTube webpage, where you will be able to upload the video clip you created by clicking on “Select files from your computer”. You could also create the video clip using your webcam by selecting “Record from Webcam”;
- Select the uploaded video that you want to share with Caribbean Export, then, click the Edit button;
- Under the Broadcasting and Sharing Options section (on the left-hand side of the page towards the bottom) you’ll see Privacy options. Click the little black arrow / triangle to expand and see all your privacy options (if it’s not already open and you cannot see your privacy options);
- If the video is set to Private, you’ll see a section to enter up to 50 YouTube usernames that will have access to your private video.
- Enter Caribbean Export’s username “TheCaribbeanExport” and then save
For more instructions, please see support link below:
SCREENING & SELECTION
All submissions will be reviewed during the period August 5th to August 12th, 2014. A maximum of ten (10) submissions from the CARIFORUM Region will be selected to be part of Caribbean Export’s contingent for the Innovation Village exhibition of the ACF 2014. Applicants will be notified of the status of their submission by Friday, August 15th, 2014.
- Be from the CARIFORUM region with at least a prototype or Minimum viable product or service
- Have innovative products and/or services that are related to the following areas:
- Creative Industries
- Green or Eco Friendly Technology
- Climate related Industries
- Alternative Energy
- Other Services Industries
Criteria for selection
Applicants will be selected on the basis of the following selection criteria:
For further information on the evaluation criteria, please refer to the “ACF 2014 Evaluation Score Sheet” by clicking on the link below:
Firms interested in participating in the VIII Americas Competitiveness Forum (ACF) as an exhibitor, are asked to make their electronic submissions to:
Submissions must be made no later than 4:30pm EST on Thursday, July 31st, 2014.
Download the Expression of Interest – ACF 2014